Our Sixth Form students have a proud tradition of excellent examination results and our students have gained university places at the most prestigious universities across the world. In addition to our excellent academic performance, we are proud of all our student achievements. DESC students are always encouraged to participate.
DESC Debating Society
“Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.” Mahatma Ghandi
The process of debate offers profound and lasting benefits for individuals, for societies and for the global community as a whole. With its emphasis on critical thinking, effective communication, independent research and teamwork, debate teaches skills that serve individuals well in school, in the workplace, in political life and in fulfilling their responsibilities as citizens of democratic societies. Once students have learned how to debate, they are better able to critically examine the pronouncements of their political representatives and to make informed judgments about crucial issues.
During the Sixth Form, students at DESC will be able to participate in a weekly debate club, whereby they will receive coaching from experienced members of staff and students who have competed for the UAE. There will be opportunities to compete in national competitions and possibly international competitions too. Some students will also be offered the opportunity to trial for the UAE National Team, due to the connections we have here. DESC has had a history of success at Upper School level and firmly believe in the significant impact of debating to studies across the board.
A number of students in sixth form have been involved in a variety of local, national and international maths competitions throughout the year. These challenges are aimed to stretch the students beyond the scope of the course and extend their thinking skills. It also provides opportunity for them to explore and enjoy the beauty of mathematics in its own right. The UK Maths challenge is optional competition for the brightest mathematician from across the globe and takes place in November. The highest performing student from this are awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze certificates. This academic year, from the 36 student who put themselves forward for this, 28 achieved certification. In March we also took two teams to the National Math Challenge at Abu Dhabi University and one of the teams was successful in making the final round, narrowly missing out on a top 3 finish.
- Teams in all major sports and leagues that from the DASSA sports calendar
- Sixth Form have access to our state of the art Health & Fitness suite, with specialist coaching available via our strength and conditioning team.
- Senior football has two teams. The A team is undefeated in 11 a side Football for two years and current Dubai Schools League Cup and 7 a side champions. Voted Dubai U19 team of the year.
- Specialist training as well as coaching.
- Specialist rehabilitation and sports injury support available in school, from a DESC member of staff. Pre competition strapping and support available.
- Netball two senior teams in DASSA schools league, and two teams in the ladies Dubai Netball league in evenings throughout the year. Morning fitness and strength and conditioning available via full tine Netball coach
- Rugby development programme run by specialist coaches. Individualised Strength and Conditioning programmes available with sports science testing led by a Director of Rugby and support coaches. Runners up in the DASSA schools 15 a side league.
- Training three times per week on the field and numerous opportunities mornings and outside of session for strength and conditioning.
- Basketball Senior teams for both boys and girls, runners up in their leagues this year.
- Athletics 2nd place overall in Dubai for both boys and girls, number of individual Dubai champions, participate in all competitions.
- Swimming, full programme after school, with training from specialist coaches. Swim squad in A league 3rd overall in Dubai.
- Extensive running club that enters a number of events locally as well as school events. Several Dubai champions in the club.
- Rounders’ league runners up, with three player part of Dubai all-stars team that played against England U18 team, winning one of the limited balls games.
- Senior boys tennis team champion of Dubai this year.
The prestigious World Scholar’s Cup is a vibrant part of the rich extra-curricular life of the Sixth Form. Students are trained in debate and writing as well as studying a wide range of academically challenging topics. The main principles of The World Scholar’s Cup are twofold: firstly, students connect their knowledge from different disciplines to gain a holistic appreciation of a specific topic and, secondly, students take charge of their learning, researching and collaborating in order to refine their knowledge of topics which go well beyond the curriculum.
Students take part in three annual competitions: the Regional round which is held in Dubai; a Global round which takes place in an Asian city; and, finally, the ‘Tournament of Champions’ which is held on the campus of Yale University in New Haven. Here students have the unforgettable experience of competing against some of the finest young minds in the world as well as exploring the stunning campuses of Yale, Harvard and MIT.
DESC Sixth Form students have an excellent record in the competition and have won numerous awards at every stage. In order to prepare our students, the school runs weekly lectures on specialist topics which are recorded and stored on our own World Scholar’s website. Many of these lectures are delivered by students thus offering valuable experience of leadership as well as fostering expert knowledge and critical thinking.